Q:OMG SOPH, HE'S ONE HALF OF A ~LIL HIP-HOP GROUP CALLED "RUN DMC" (HE'S DMC) AND HE DRAWS COMIC BOOKS NOW. THAT'S WHY GATES MCFADDEN IS TRYING TO GET SOME STREET CRED BUT SHE'S ALREADY AN OG.
KIDS AND THEIR MUSIC
I now see by Experience that one may love too much, and offend more by a too fond Sincerity, than by a careless Indifferency, provided it be but handsomly varnish’d over with civil Respect. I find too there are few Friendships in the World Marriage-proof […]. [W]e may generally conclude the Marriage of a Friend to be the Funeral of a Friendship […] there is indeed a certain Meanness in our Souls, which mercenarily inclines our Affections to those with whom we must necessarily be oblig’d for the most part to converse, and from whom we expect the chiefest outward Conveniencies. And thus we are apt to flatter our selves that we are constant and unchang’d in our Friendship, tho’ we insensibly fall into Coldness and Estrangement.
Katherine Philips to Charles Cotterell, on the impending marriage of her friend, Anne Owen, to whom she wrote poems like this.
sometimes when I’m angry or stressed or sad I think about whales just swimming around in the ocean, doing whale shit. like, they’re the biggest goddamn mammals on the planet. they don’t have time for little problems. there’s too much chill-ass whale shit to do.
basically what I am saying is that whales are my happy place.
me and louise glück: 1
upon rewatching mean girls for the first time in quite a while, i am left only with the sentiment that ms. norbury and i are the solution to all of each other’s problems.
i have a lot to say about this conference i just got back from but right now my primary thought is
WHY THE FUCK AM I TEACHING THE WASTE LAND TOMORROW?????
things i am looking forward to about this conference:
- getting the hell out of dodge!
- air travel (okay, domestic air travel, gross, but we know how i love sites of transit and AIRPLANES)!
- seeing a new city!
- drinks with senpai *hearteyes*!
- being in a seminar with eminentscholarpal, he of the Improbable Name that i like to say as often as possible!
- lunch with mentorfriend!
- the open-bar reception that opens the conference, gin & tonics forever!
- seeing some important friends, like one of my besties from my MA days, and this crew of crazysmart ladies from another university, and the geek girl who works on the nerdiest shit ever who likes to flirt with me and so on, and maybe academic sister (not to be confused with academic step-sister)!
- seeing some Special Acquaintances, you know, the people you know and like and look forward to talking to but can’t exactly call friends and you sort of think the word ‘colleague’ is a bit much!
- having my work read by a lot of really smart people!
- making new friends and Special Acquaintances!
- did i say gin & tonics!
- gin & tonics!
- this conference’s final event every year is a dance, yes, a dance, and i have never gone but THIS YEAR, oh boy, this year!
- the face people make when i tell them who my advisor is (everyone is Afraid Of Her And Wrong About It) and then the face they make when i garaksmile at them!
- the pretty hand-calligraphied nametags!
- uh probably i’ll go to a panel or two? … !
- mostly : giant three-day party full of nerds!
no more homework pls. ;A;
Oh my god, this is so cool and amazing! THE SNAKE HAS LITTLE GLASSES!
Of course, now two of the snakes are going to be totally buzzed on caffeine and annoying all the other snakes for hooouuurrrrssss
i made the mistake of looking at twitter and now i am having major professional-sociality anxiety in anticipation of this conference this weekend
also the kind of loathing i have for the use of twitter for aggressive performance of professional identity and disingenuous networking is extreme and disproportionate and could probably light things on fire if properly focalized
also a lot of this has to do with the Difficult Friend and hey look it only took me like three years but now i know how to recognize this particular spiral and IT AIN’T GONNA HAPPEN, NOT THIS TIME, MOTHERFUCKER
yeah that’s right fuck you i’m going to GET OUT OF BED and GET DRESSED and DO THINGS and probably listen to TRAINING MONTAGE MUSIC while i do it, so, like, fucking HA
notes from my perpetual tng rewatch:
in ‘who watches the watchers,’ the mintakans’ belief that picard is a god takes part in the most conventional of western fantasies about the awe of ~~primitive~~ peoples before ~~advanced~~ civilizations, that is, it takes up old tropes of western encounters with other cultures in order to reinforce them.
whereas in ds9, the place of sisko as the emissary of the prophets – if not a god, then their messiah – is understood as a legitimate premise, taken seriously and developed over the course of seven seasons, given the full complexity of any religious-political problem. that is, ds9 takes up those same old tropes in order to subvert and critique them.
or: aw, bless, lookit the wee trekverse learning how not to be quite such a dick.
today my job is to teach the invocations in paradise lost. if we spend the full three hours on those two sentences in book 1, that will be fine with me. if we can talk even briefly about the ‘wakeful bird / sings darkling’ and her nocturnal note, if we can even think about what it means for urania to be a muse of poetry for half a second, that will all be a gift from a benevolent universe.
this is a good job. i can do this job. come on come on come on.